Sunday, September 4, 2016

vocabulary list #1

theme-the subject of a talk, a piece of writing , a person's thoughts, or exhibition
I had to write an essay and couldn't thing of a good theme.

tone-a musical or vocal sound with reference to its pitch, quality, and strength
When someone sings the tone of there voice changes.

mood-a temporary state of mind or feeling
When I wake up on Mondays and have to go to school my mood is always grumpy.

diction-the choice and use of words and phrases in speech of writing
When people write novels they always make them diction.

syntax-the arrangement of words and phrases to create well-formed sentences in a language
In my speech in class I had lots of syntax.

stupid-lacking intelligence or common sense
I feel really stupid when I misspell a word.

adumbrate-report or represent in outline
In a essay you always have to adumbrate.

apotheosis-the highest point in the development of something
The skyscraper was apotheosis.

ascetic-characterized by or suggesting the practice of severe self-discipline and abstention from all from of indulgence, typically for religious reasons
In many churches they have ascetic groups.

bauble-a small, showy trinket or decoration
I made a bauble in art class and hung it up on my wall.

beguile-charm or enchant (someone), sometimes in a deceptive
A lot of people carry a beguile.

burgeon-begin to grow or increase rapidly
I saw a tree burgeon over a few months.

complement-a thing that completes or bring to perfection
I gave my brother a complement on his hair cut.

contumacious-stubbornly or willfully disobedient to authority
I saw on TV that not all inmates in jail are contumacious.

curmudgeon-a bad-tempered or surly person
I saw a old man walking around the park being curmudgeon.






No comments:

Post a Comment